The Investment Promotion Department is mandated to facilitate the development and enhancement of tourism products in partnership with the private sector and host communities; as well as to promote Lesotho as a preferred destination for tourism investment. Under the current LTDC Strategic Plan the department pursues the following objectives:
- To attract significant new tourism investments and business ventures.
- To facilitate a substantial improvement and diversification of tourism products and tourists’ experience.
- To develop and execute a successful product quality assurance system.
- To facilitate tourism awareness and capacity building.
In the current year, 2016/17 the department intends to focus efforts on the following intervention below:
Facilitating Tourism Investment Climate
- Carry out feasibility studies for development of Tourism Destination Areas (TDAs)
- Development of zoning plans for TDAs
- Facilitate development of Tourism Specific Incentive package
- Facilitate the Development of tour operation regulations
- Facilitate the development of Tourism Levy
- Facilitate access to finance
- Enhance integrated tourism development
- Facilitate establishment of Inter-Ministerial Committee for tourism development
- Facilitate servicing of tourism destination areas eg Sanitop, Semonkong, Letsa-la-Letsie and Morifi
- Leverage on Resources from other agencies for advancing tourism development through partnerships, namely LNDC, LHDA, BEDCO, Action Lesotho, MCC, WASCO and Ministry of Police
Promote development of new tourism products
- Facilitate greenfield investments opportunities
- Facilitate access to required resources, namely: land, funding, skilled and trainable personnel, mega infrastructure (roads, electricity, clean water, telecommunication)
- Facilitate registration of new ventures/investments eg company and tax registration
- Facilitate acquisition of residence and work permits for expatriates
- Facilitate opening of bank accounts, electricity, water and sewage reticulation.
- Facilitate divesture of tourism assets owned by the government of Lesotho through short to long-term concessions.
Diversify tourism product
- Carry out tourism attraction sites audit and compile a database
- Develop key Tour Routes around the country by constructing visitor comfort facilities at strategic points along the routes
- Facilitate implementation of LHWP tourism master plan
Strengthen private sector & community participation
- Enhance private sector skills through training
- Short term training for all tourism sub-sectors eg training of Tour Operators, Tour Guides, Accommodation Sector, etc
- Facilitate skills capacity building for community interest groups eg Traditional Performance groups, Crafters, Pony trekking groups, Rural Homestay owners
- Facilitate establishment of Area Tourism Development Trusts as an intermediary structures that oversee and coordinate tourism development and activities within TDAs
Enhance participation in grading programme
- Create awareness about grading programme and its benefits to the operators and consumers
- Carry out mentorship/handholding on grading
- Assess and award grades to accommodation facilities
- Monitor performance of graded accommodation facilities
- Promote usage of graded accommodation facilities