The key function of the Strategic Marketing Department is to promote and market Lesotho as a unique and preferred tourist destination. Through newly developed unique tourism image, the department’s vision is to position Lesotho as a first choice destination for local people, most preferred destination for regional tourists and the best choice compliment for international tourists, with the goal that Lesotho tourism potential creates jobs and contribute to the economic growth
Identifying niche Markets
The LTDC crystallized its understanding of various markets which bears on tourism in and to Lesotho. In line with the above, the following markets- identified in reports and discussions, form future target markets:
• Growing up Roughing it/Wonder lusters market – Adventurers and Explorative.
• No Limit – Thirst for pushing themselves beyond limits. Rugged terrain, extreme sports, death-defying heights and breathtaking altitudes.
• Escapers- The escapist traveler is looking for the uncrowded tranquility away from noise and people. They want a peaceful, quite setting where they can finally turn on the off switch.
• Local people – Our lowest hanging fruit. Not only as a source of business but as a marketing our effort, i.e. being brand ambassadors. This includes all Basotho in the country, LTDC, all other locals and government employees as well as Basotho outside the country particularly Basotho in RSA.
Satellite office (Information offices)
As the focal points to welcome the tourists into the country, LTDC has Information office at the following points of entry to disseminate and accurate tourism information about Lesotho:
• Maseru Border
• Moshoeshoe 1 International Airport
• Pioneer Mall Tourist Kiosk
• Botha Bothe Tourist Office
• Thaba Bosiu Tourist Office
• Maputsoe Border Information Officer
• Peka Bridge Information Officer
• Sani Pass Information Officer
Identifying Core products
The Core products which will position Lesotho, and create a competitive and comparative advantage have been concretized as follows:
• Pony trekking
• Mountain Biking
• 4 x 4 drives
• Skiing and Water Sports
Complimenting products at the present moment are:
• Cultural products
• Historical attractions